The Yeats Room
The Yeats Room at The K Club is a museum-quality collection of paintings and ephemera relating to Ireland’s best-known artist Jack B. Yeats (1871–1957).
Yeats came from an immensely talented family– his father John Butler Yeats was a portrait painter who lived in New York for fourteen years. His brother William Butler Yeats was the celebrated Irish poet and his sisters, Lily and Lolly, founded the renowned Dun Emer Guild for Irish craftspeople and the Cuala Press.
Although Yeats attended a number of art schools in London, he had already proved himself as a fine colourist and draughtsman as a result of the huge number of sketches and drawings he had done whilst growing up in Sligo. The West of Ireland provided him with subject matter for his art for the rest of his life. His Sligo-inspired subjects cover a variety of human types and experiences, from fishermen, circus performers, poteen makers, horse races and fair days, and later to Irish myths.
The K Club collection is remarkable in that it includes major works from both Yeats’ early period around 1900, when he visited Lady Gregory in Galway and painted scenes from life in the West, to his middle period where he absorbed the influence of the Impressionists and worked in a freer, more fluid style.
Other related artworks on display include a number of the artist’s sketchbooks, a bronze sculpture of Jack B. Yeats and the fine portrait of his poet brother by Augustus John.